Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Indivisible: Sarah Krause

I am pleased to present square number 55, another wonderful work created by Sarah Krause of the  New Haven Friends Meeting stitch group:



Pen and marker on paper, 2016. 

I enjoy the formal aspects of this work, the rationality of it (during an irrational period in our country) as well as the reference to artist Piet Mondrian. Mondrian had an interest in the spiritual and philosophical, and he explained his work in a letter written in 1914: "...I construct lines and color combinations on a flat surface, in order to express general beauty with the utmost awareness. Nature (or, that which I see) inspires me, puts me, as with any painter, in an emotional state so that an urge comes about to make something, but I want to come as close as possible to the truth and abstract everything from that, until I reach the foundation (still just an external foundation!) of things…"

Please keep sending your squares to the Indivisible Project

No comments:

Post a Comment